Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1st trip to Botanic Gardens



We've spent a few too many days indoors, due to hot weather, so I decided to pack 'em up and head out to the Denver Botanic Gardens (with handy helper Auntie Kelli - who informed me it was the free day at the Botanic Gardens).

So first bit of information - it was mild today, at 88degrees, but still pretty warm in the sun, second bit of information - some cooky people come out on free day - I now remember why I avoid free days at the zoo and museum - it was rather crowded and again, totally random and odd people (and lots of canes, walkers, wheelchairs and strollers), third bit of info... awesome mom that i am, remembered to bring our nice camera, but of course forgot to charge the battery OR the back up battery, so pics are all coming from the trusty iPhone!


I have to say that parenting takes on an entirely new role when you have 2 walkers! Abby is on the move and trying to keep up with Morgan as best she can - you can see that she now has another shoe option - these cool Nike sneaks, instead of her white clunkers. they may look big, but they aren't heavy at all and still give her that great heal and ankle support she needs.

If I used Twitter - I would have totally "tweeted" about this rude woman at the Gardens. There were a TON of people everywhere, so I see this park bench with no one sitting on it and ask the lady leaning up against it (sitting on the ground on a blanket) if she would mind sharing the bench? She said yes, but I am keeping an eye on my daughter over there ---- as in, sure you can sit on the bench, but don't block the view of my 4 yo who is playing over by these random people that I don't know, rather than me calling her back over to me). So we sit down on 1 side of the bench, taking up only 1/2 of it, and start our picnic. She calls her daughter over and says, come on we are leaving, and the daughter goes, why mom, are those people bothering us? and the mom says yes!!! --- Kelli and I just look at each other like - wow - great manners you are teaching your kid lady - it's a freakin park bench - that you were not sitting on - in an overly crowded GARDEN - for God sake - seriously, I couldn't believe - so she packed up her "eco" friendly blanket, and her stuffed her nalgene in her recyclable bag and then had the kid carry the blanket!! Love the environment but not your neighbor? Don't think that's part of the deal - oh well - sorry for venting - it was just a super odd and impressionable moment - how much our kids absorb, not just from our words, but from our tone, our actions, our reactions. Makes ya think!

No comments: