Instead of canceling our adventure, we decided to go, and really appreciate our family today. The four us together - it was a wonderful, wonderful day!
The car ride was smooth (thank you iPad and digital download of Despicable Me), and we arrived to Frisco Nordic center about an hour and 10 after we left the house. We decided to try snow shoeing for the first time at this center, for two reasons - primarily b/c we have never done it before, and though it would be a safe place to get started and second, because in March there is the Romp to Stomp - a Susan G. Komen event to fight breast cancer. We thought it would be good to check out the location!
With kids packed on our backs, we both felt like Sherpas - ready to start our snowy adventure - it was about 30degrees when we started, but it felt great out.
So to understand snow show trails, they are marked like downhill skiing trails - green = easy,blue = intermediate, etc.. Which I had no idea about of course! We opted not to take the green trail today as it was only a 30 minute trail and we wanted to be out longer...blue trail here we come!For those of you familiar with downhill skiing - I'm sure you can relate to the increase in difficulty from green to blue runs - of course this NEVER crossed my mind when we headed out on the blue trail - until I met face to face with this very large hill - the first of several I would later find out - I was winded, my side hurt, and I could not catch my breath -
Bernie on the other hand was cruising no problem, with Morgan on his back - I was very impressed. We reached the top of hill one, and with much stopping and starting, managed to work our way over all the hills to find the first 1/2 brutal and the 2nd half of the walk to be stunning- beautifully set in the woods(and mostly down hill).
I am very proud to say that our very first snow shoeing experience ended at 1 1/2 hours, after 2.5 miles, and 1 little Abby girl asleep. No potty accidents from Morgan and some incredible pictures - oh yes, and Mommy only took one spill - right at the end!!! There was a snow boulder on the path and my little leg just could not lift the snow shoe over it, and down I went - everybody was safe and sound- Abby even stayed sleeping! And with a lot of effort, Bernie was able to help me up!
If there are any Colorado adventurers out there - please let me know if you know good places to go snow shoeing, as we are eager to get back out there - also - if anyone is interested in doing the Romp to Stomp let me know!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment